Saturday, November 26, 2011

I'm exhausted!

We hosted Thanksgiving at our tiny little townhome yesterday. Eight adults and three children (all under the age of four, mind you) all smooshed into our little living room; sitting on the floor, random chairs, and our couch. As much work as it was, it was pretty amazing to be able to spend it with our friends, since we couldn't be with our families (buuut, I will say that I'm SO happy my hubs is home for these holidays-SO SO SO glad). J and I cooked pretty much everything-him the turkey and stuffing (dressing? stuffing? druffing?), and me the corn casserole, roadside potatoes, and the infamous Cheddar Bay buscuits (I'll admit, I'm obsessed, because they're so. easy.). We had so much food here, and tons and tons of leftovers. It was pretty awesome, and we were all exhausted by about 6:30. I think the two of us were in bed by like 7. Not quite sure we'll be hosting it again next year, but it was definitely quite the learning experience!

I made two DELICIOUS (sorta) new recipes for the dinner and lemme tell ya, got LOADS of compliments for both. I've made the potatoes in the past and they were a hit, so I figured I'd do 'em again. Plus, they're one of my favorite dishes that my mom makes, so I kinda wanted to make them to have a little piece of my fam. They're really, really, REALLY easy, but super unhealthy-but isn't that what Turkey Day is all about? ;) The corn casserole was even easier than the potatoes, and it turned out really light and fluffy-not too dry either. So, without further ado, here are the recipes, I really hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

The first is the corn casserole, which has been in my family for awhile. My mom gave me the recipe in a little scrapbook she made for me when J and I got married. It's got all my favorites, which make me feel close to my mommy when I'm having a bad day (sad, I know).
Corn Casserole
1 can of creamed corn
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup sour cream
1 stick margarine, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1 package Jiffy Corn Muffin mix
Mix all ingredients together, then pour into a 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (edges will be golden but not too crunchy)

Told ya it was easy. Moving on...


The next is one of my all-time favorite dishes to eat and make is something we call Roadside Potatoes (sounds lovely, eh?). They're just as easy to make, and even more delicious to eat. Here's what to do:
3 cups half & half
1/2 cup butter (melted)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated parmesan (I ran out and had to use the thin chunks of parm, but I crumbled it up and it tasted just as delish)
24 oz. (1 bag) frozen or fresh shredded hashbrowns (I use the frozen)
Mix together the first four ingredients.
Put the hashbrowns (they don't need to be thawed) into a 9x13 pan and pour the mixture over them.
Bake at 325 for 1 hour

So there ya have it, my easy "mix, dump, and bake" recipes. I know I've been slacking on the weekly recipes, but it's been so hectic around the L household that we've been eating a lot of leftovers and, shhhh, going out to eat (I got lazy). Once Monday rolls around, I should have a new recipe for ya, just gotta hop on Food Gawker and see what I can find! Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with lots of love, laughter, and delish dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment